The Lamar University Program provides scholarships to community college students who transfer to Lamar University and upper level MATH and/or CS majors to complete a bachelor’s degree in mathematics or computer science. Selected students are awarded scholarships up to $5,000 per semester (up to $10,000 annually) for up to four semesters at Lamar University. During the first summer, the students will take a class, engage in research project with mathematics and computer science faculty, and participate in a orientation to the Lamar University campus and community. While at Lamar ASCENT scholars will meet regularly – both individually and as part of the cohort – with faculty mentors. In addition to faculty mentoring, students will be supported by peer mentoring, career education, and additional summer research opportunities.
- Application due dates:
1. November 15 (for Spring semester). Students should verify their eligibility by December 2.
2. March 22 (for Fall/Summer semester). Students should verify their eligibility for financial aid by April 5.
- A complete ASCENT application consists of all of the following material. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed until all of the application materials have been received.
- A Lamar University Transfer Application for Admission, including a recommendation letter The completed Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- This ASCENT Program application including personal information, academic history, one academic reference, and a completed essay.
Privileges and Responsibilities
- Up to $5000 per long semester for up to four long semesters
- Participate in Summer Bridge and Enrichment Program in Year I
- Summer Dorm Support and Stipend
- Participate in Summer Undergraduate Research Project (URP) in Year II
- Lead mentoring by faculty member in your discipline
- Peer and external mentoring